Thursday, August 13, 2009

Sponge


Pica is the practice of craving substances with little or no nutritional value. Most pica cravings involve non-food substances such as dirt or chalk. The word pica is Latin for magpie which is a bird notorious for eating almost anything.

Don't think I'm a freak, but I have been craving sponges lately. My mouth watered as I passed the shelves on the cleaning aisle. I just wanted to bite it, chew it, soak it and suck the water out. I know...so wierd! After over a week, I finally broke down, confessed to my husband that I really wanted a sponge and why, so we went to Safeway specifically for sponges. I was smart about it, I boiled the sponges in water and then chewed to my hearts content. Don't worry, I didn't swallow...I just wanted to chew it.

I googled "craving sponges" and underneath it already had a "craving sponges during pregnancy". Apparently thousands of women also crave sponges while pregnant. I don't feel so wierd anymore. :)

7 comments:

Amy and David Ziehl said...

AHAHAH! I have heard of craving weird things but this is the first time I have heard for craving sponges. Don't worry, I still love you.

Jesse, Trista and Jaiden Wright said...

I've heard of pregnant women craving weird things but that is interesting!

how is your pregnancy going otherwise? getting ready? uncomfortable? tired? how has the pregnancy gone so far? didn't you have some bedrest with your first pregnancy? have you had any bedrest this time? I dont know how I'd do bed rest since I have Jaiden now... so I'm hoping to never hear those words from my doctor! but I have been having to have monthly ultrasounds to keep an eye on him... its nice seeing him so much though!

Tiffani said...

Um, sounds like you are anemic. You need to eat iron and pronto; red meat, spinach, beans, strawberries and if taken with o.j., never milk will increase its absorption.

dani said...

that is too funny!

Luisa said...

Oh my WORD, Kali! You are funny! but, I agree about eating more iron in your diet. And, please make sure the sponge is non-toxic (i think most of them are...well, they should be! hello! we just use them with our dishes you know!), and NOT MADE IN CHINA (no offense!)! LOL! I wanna see you in your pregnant glory...I'll let u know my work sched as soon as I get it. Take care, Kali dear! <3 yah!

Becca Bel said...

That is so funny! Sponges... I never knew there was one for sponges.I never craved anything when I was preo. I didn't want to eat much, just ice cream.

Carla Maranhão said...

Kali, you are a lot of fun...you have always been. Love you!!!