Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11 A National Day of Remembrance




I'm the one in the yellow. This is just months before the 9/11 terrorist attacks. We lived really close to NYC at the time. There were a lot of commuters in our town who unfortunately were closely affected by this tragedy. There were two of my classmates who lost a parent in the World Trade Center. The gym teacher at my school lost his new wife. I remember sitting in math class when the principal made an announcement over the intercom to turn on the TVs, and choking up, he managed to say, "God bless Ameria." At 13, I really didn't have the maturity to understand the depth of what was happening nor did I know how much our country would change from that point. I want to express my admiration for the heroes who risked their lives that day; for the volunteers, the policemen, the firefighters. I remember meeting three of those men who left their families to save others not knowing whether they would make it back. They were three of the finest men I think I have ever met, NYC Firefighters. I am so grateful for this country that I live in. I'm grateful for all those serving in Iraq to protect the freedoms we enjoy. I pray for their safety. There were more than 2,700 people killed in New York that day. I pray for their families; that they have peace and comfort. After the September 11th attacks, many people went back to church or sought out religion. I hope in times of hardship and in times of prosperity we can rely on the Lord and express our thanks to Him. God Bless America.

No comments: