Sunday, January 20, 2013

highs and lows


I have to admit that this week kicked my tush. Big time. It's basketball season, and not only is Anthony  coaching full time, working full time, and in school full time (superman, I tell you), he is crazy and started picking up overtime to score keep for the boys' games after his own practices!

What does that make me? A single mom. I should be used to it. Actually, for the most part, I am, but the kids have been cuh-razy this week. Have you ever just had one of those weeks where the kids are crying and whining about everything?


To top things off, Leila snuck into a package of Otis Spunkmeyer chocolate muffins (the big ones) and ate every single one. Then she crapped on the floor.
I'm happy to report that the week did get better.  I think it started with these crepes. Thanks, Pinterest.
I had a few moments of childhood nostalgia. While folding laundry, I had to kick the kids off the couch, so I made a "birds nest" for them to snuggle in while they watched a movie.

Another high note, was finding these hilarious glasses. Thanks, Target.
For FHE, on Monday we went to Barnes and Noble and I let the boys pick out one book each. Landon picked out two Wreck it Ralph activity books, a Thomas the Train sticker book, and a science book about human anatomy.  I told him he had to pick just one out of the three. To my surprise, he chose the science book. They are both obsessed with it and have already had me read it several times this week. Future, doctors? ...Buy me house? ;)
The best news of the week came after we got the Bob book beginner reading sets. Landon's been trying really hard to sound out letters, then make out words. The first time he read the first book by himself, I couldn't help but tear up. Of course I'm proud of him, but what got me so emotional was how proud he was of himself and how hard he worked to get there. He's a determined kid (which can be a challenge for me), but I'm thankful he's channelling that into something positive.

If your child is identifying letters and sounds, I would highly recommend the Bob books. What I love about them, is that they make reading so simple. I wish I would've had them for Landon sooner. The first book has 6 letters, then the next book uses those same letters plus 2, and they slowly add more with each book, so they build up to the rest of the alphabet gradually getting more and more comfortable and confident. I sound like a paid sponsor. Haha, I wish. But really, these books are awesome.



3 comments:

Kristen and Andrew said...

You rock mommy-hood!!

Marisa McNeely said...

They miss daddy and see how stressed you are, though you may put your best face on for them they can sense it... It's no wonder they were so fussy last week! I hope you have a better one this week and go Anthony for working so hard! I hope he doesn't work too hard though. Family comes first and money isn't what brings true happiness. I absolutely loved hearing Landon read! I actually teared up. He is growing so much! They both are! You have the cutest kids alive!!!

Unknown said...

Excellent post! I must thank you for this informative read. I hope you will post again soon.
Kind regard
Laundry Machine Manufacturers In Hyderabad